Saturday, August 08, 2009

Eric Brende in St. Louis

When I was writing my dissertation I did a *lot* of reading on technology and some of the benefits and costs. One book that I found particularly interesting was by a man named Eric Brende who wrote a book, Better Off, which detailed both his current life and his experience living with an Amish community about a decade ago. The book was fascinating but what was more fascinating to me was that he really questioned the reliance on technology that North American culture has been based upon.

Today he runs a rickshaw business in St. Louis and makes handmade soaps. He and his wife homeschool their three children and have what he terms a 'working household'. I am amazed by the fact that he and his wife understand how important it is to actually raise children who work! Fifty years ago just about EVERYONE had a 'working household' and children were producers, not consumers. Below is a video on Eric. I think you might find it interesting.

No comments: