Thursday, January 04, 2007

Yes, it's true, the Peach is a truly Anxious Chicken!

While I am grateful for all God's blessings on my life here lately, I am also as stressed as I can be. I was gently reminded in my devotional yesterday that when Jacob met up with Esau again in Genesis 33, Esau urged Jacob to come along quickly with him and Jacob responded: "I [will] move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children" (Genesis 33:14). Jacob went on to say that driving the droves hard for even a single day could kill some of them and he wasn't going to do that, not to mention that young children can't be driven along in such a manner either.

The author of my devotional pointed out that this paints a beautiful picture of how Jacob cared for those that were most vulnerable in his care, in this case the children and the droves, and he did not allow himself to be pulled along at the pace of a more powerful 'other' (in this case Esau who as a hunter and powerful man could probably cover some serious ground quite quickly!). My devotional reminded me also that Jesus has gone before us in all things and that he knows how much we can take. He knows how fast to take us and in what way to take us.

I am facing some 'pacing' issues myself here lately and find my entire body aching with fatigue and stress. I took a big breath yesterday and slowed down a bit. While I want to meet the demands of my current situation, I also realize that I have human limits, vulnerabilities and needs that Jesus is fully aware of.

Lord, help me not be pulled along by more powerful others in a bad way, but follow YOU and YOUR pace!
God Bless!
The Peach

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey AC, I didn't know you were vegan! :)
love the drove analogy, thanks for sharing :)

Peachy Keen said...

Ha ha! I have comment moderation on in case some nutjob decides to leave some weirdo comments. :-) Yes, I am vegan for the time being. My cholestrol has fallen 35 points (to 161!) not to brag and I am mch healthier. I don't miss meat although I had some over the break..shhhhh don't tell the Vegan Police!

Anyway, I like my veggies and fruit smoothies. Mmmmmm.
P